Re: Cast Earth

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: Cast Earth

Alex,

I've not heard of it, but it would need to be kept dry, since both soil and gypsum are subject to deterioration when wetted.  Detailing to assure protection against moisture is the principal design concern in soil construction.

I've experimented with and designed soil/portland-cement mixes to develop repair material for existing adobe walls.  The cement is a stabilizer that reduces or delays the damaging effects of moisture.

If anyone knows about gypsum as an amendment for soil as a building material, its probably someone at the Southwest Solaradobe School, Bosque, NM 87006, email adobebuilder(--nospam--at)juno.com .

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer