From: MSSROLLO(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:MSSROLLO(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 1:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Old Concrete Repair Question

I have a project with an older building (built in 50s I think) that has some

of the concrete spalling off .  The building is a concrete beam/column
system
with about 6" concrete walls and concrete roof.  To date, all I see is the
clear cover spalling off the main beams and some roof purlins/joists.  I do
not see any major damage to the section other than this spalling.  It is
spalling back to the tension reinforcing/stirrups.

Any good suggestions for providing protection of the steel?.  The inside of
the building has fairly high humidity.  Water is used in their process.

Also, does anyone have an idea what was "considered" minimum reinforcing
back
in the 50s.  We do not know what reinforcing was used during the original
construction. I was wanting to estimate the beam strength based on current
code requirements.

Thanks
Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL