Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Old Concrete Repair Question

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
You could try "Report of the Joint Committee on Standard Specifications for
Concrete and Reinforced Concrete:  Recommended Practice and Standard
Specifications for Concrete and Reinforced Concrete"

My printing is from 1944.  You can get it from ACI (photocopy for $25).
Send me your fax number and I can fax you the info on the beams from the

John Daley

-----Original Message-----
From: MSSROLLO(--nospam--at) [mailto:MSSROLLO(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 1:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Old Concrete Repair Question

I have a project with an older building (built in 50s I think) that has some

of the concrete spalling off .  The building is a concrete beam/column
with about 6" concrete walls and concrete roof.  To date, all I see is the 
clear cover spalling off the main beams and some roof purlins/joists.  I do 
not see any major damage to the section other than this spalling.  It is 
spalling back to the tension reinforcing/stirrups.  

Any good suggestions for providing protection of the steel?.  The inside of 
the building has fairly high humidity.  Water is used in their process.  

Also, does anyone have an idea what was "considered" minimum reinforcing
in the 50s.  We do not know what reinforcing was used during the original 
construction. I was wanting to estimate the beam strength based on current 
code requirements.

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL