Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Old Concrete Repair Question

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

If the spalling is nonstructural, and the rebar is in good shape, then you may
want to try SIKA 123 by the SIKA Corporation.
I have had good results with this product in overhead and vertical applications.
It's about as low tech as it gets.
Sika makes a primer for the rebar that I believe is recommended by Sika prior to
applying SIKA 123.

Good Luck.


MSSROLLO(--nospam--at) on 03/29/2000 01:31:32 PM

Please respond to seaint(--nospam--at)

To:   seaint(--nospam--at)
cc:    (bcc: Nick Pitera/EG-Engrg/3M/US)
Subject:  Old Concrete Repair Question

I have a project with an older building (built in 50s I think) that has some
of the concrete spalling off .  The building is a concrete beam/column system
with about 6" concrete walls and concrete roof.  To date, all I see is the
clear cover spalling off the main beams and some roof purlins/joists.  I do
not see any major damage to the section other than this spalling.  It is
spalling back to the tension reinforcing/stirrups.

Any good suggestions for providing protection of the steel?.  The inside of
the building has fairly high humidity.  Water is used in their process.

Also, does anyone have an idea what was "considered" minimum reinforcing back
in the 50s.  We do not know what reinforcing was used during the original
construction. I was wanting to estimate the beam strength based on current
code requirements.

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL