Re: Cantilevered Glass

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Note that glass experiences fatigue, and even experiences static fatigue (fatigue under a constant force, does not require load cycles).  Thus, a design that performs just fine initially could fail without warning one day when it gets loaded one too many times.  That is one of the reasons it is not a popular structural material (beside its brittleness).

Paul Crocker

Someone has asked me about a (single) cantilevered glass shelf.  It would be placed upon a 3' high CMU wall, and bolted between gaskets & steel plates down with anchor bolts.  (The UPS guy would be dropping packages there.)

Has someone got references, leads, experience... that I could use to determine the appropriate type and thickness of glass - or type of kite to tell the designer to go fly?