Re: Cantilevered Glass

If you use appropriate factors of safety, this application seems feasible.  My glass table at home has been working fine for years.  You can find some schematic pictures of structural glass roof and wall panels for the new Seattle city hall at http://www.cityofseattle.net/civic/cityhall.htm . The glass designer for this project has built some pretty impressive structural glass structures that cantilever much farther than this counter would.

Jason Emoto

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: Cantilevered Glass

Note that glass experiences fatigue, and even experiences static fatigue (fatigue under a constant force, does not require load cycles).  Thus, a design that performs just fine initially could fail without warning one day when it gets loaded one too many times.  That is one of the reasons it is not a popular structural material (beside its brittleness).

Paul Crocker

Someone has asked me about a (single) cantilevered glass shelf.  It would be placed upon a 3' high CMU wall, and bolted between gaskets & steel plates down with anchor bolts.  (The UPS guy would be dropping packages there.)

Has someone got references, leads, experience... that I could use to determine the appropriate type and thickness of glass - or type of kite to tell the designer to go ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to * admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the message type * "join seaint" (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email * to admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the message * type "leave seaint" (no quotes). For questions, send * email to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********