Re: Texas Twisters

In a message dated 3/29/00 5:48:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com writes:

> It will take some time to evaluate the structural integrity of the dozens of
>  affected buildings.  My guess is that the mid-rise and high-rise steel and
>  concrete frame office buildings in downtown Fort Worth will ultimately be
>  found to be structurally sound, albeit with some localized damage.  The
>  glass curtainwalls that are common on these buildings failed quickly, like
>  "structural fuses", allowing the wind to blow right through the open
>  building frames.  Once the sail is gone, the forces become manageable.  By
>  the way, Fort Worth uses UBC, with a 70 mph basic wind speed.

That goes to one of the items they were mentioning on the news this morning
which did not make much sense to me.  They were saying that Fort Worth was
beginning to look into changing the building code to require tougher glass
that would not be destroyed by tornadoes.  Wouldn't this actually increase
the building's chance of being destroyed by tornados?

-Bill King, EIT