Re: Texas Twisters

Chanel1096(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/29/00 5:48:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com writes:
>
> > It will take some time to evaluate the structural integrity of the dozens of
> >  affected buildings.  My guess is that the mid-rise and high-rise steel and
> >  concrete frame office buildings in downtown Fort Worth will ultimately be
> >  found to be structurally sound, albeit with some localized damage.  The
> >  glass curtainwalls that are common on these buildings failed quickly, like
> >  "structural fuses", allowing the wind to blow right through the open
> >  building frames.  Once the sail is gone, the forces become manageable.  By
> >  the way, Fort Worth uses UBC, with a 70 mph basic wind speed.
> >
> That goes to one of the items they were mentioning on the news this morning
> which did not make much sense to me.  They were saying that Fort Worth was
> beginning to look into changing the building code to require tougher glass
> that would not be destroyed by tornadoes.  Wouldn't this actually increase
> the building's chance of being destroyed by tornados?
>
> -Bill King, EIT

	I did not see the report.  However, understand the source.  I have
never know the new media to be entirely accurate about any story.  The
story is done too fast with too little research.  When we had a tornado
here in Salt Lake a while back, I remember seeing an interview with an
architect about structural damage to the Delta Center.  Need I say more?

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT (Tornado Alley?)