Re: details and nuances

Typically, structural engineering is seen as a specialty within civil engineering.  Civil engineering programs generally encompass a number of specialties including structural engineering; geotechnical (soils) engineering; environmental engineering (which includes such varied things as groundwater modeling, air and water quality, sewage treatment, and drinking water treatment); water, sewer, and drainage design; transportation and highway engineering, and probably many other subspecialties that I'm missing.  Generally, most large public works projects like road, building, and pipline projects fall under civil engineering.   Structural engineers generally limit themselves to their specialties within
civil engineering: buildings, bridges, industrial structures and miscellaneous structure.  Some, however, do a variety of work across the civil engineering spectrum.

Paul Crocker