Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: details and nuances

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Typically, structural engineering is seen as a specialty within civil engineering.  Civil engineering programs generally encompass a number of specialties including structural engineering; geotechnical (soils) engineering; environmental engineering (which includes such varied things as groundwater modeling, air and water quality, sewage treatment, and drinking water treatment); water, sewer, and drainage design; transportation and highway engineering, and probably many other subspecialties that I'm missing.  Generally, most large public works projects like road, building, and pipline projects fall under civil engineering.   Structural engineers generally limit themselves to their specialties within
civil engineering: buildings, bridges, industrial structures and miscellaneous structure.  Some, however, do a variety of work across the civil engineering spectrum.

Paul Crocker

Dana Michele wrote:

> seeing as i am writing from spain, i am a bit confused about american terminology. when i go to the web sites of university engineering programs i see that sometimes there are just civil engineering degrees and sometimes there are structural engineering degrees, and sometimes there are both. i am curious to know if there is a difference, because here our civil engineers calculate and analyze structures. they are the ones who use these types of computer programs. what is the american situation? is there a difference in these types of degrees? which type of engineer actually calculates buildings? maybe one is just a more specific name than the other but basically the same? any thoughts? thanks,dana