RE: Vertical Component of Seismic Loads in Bridges

Mark,

There is a good discussion of the nature of earthquake vertical ground
motions relative to horizontal ground motions in the US Army Corps of
Engineers TI 809-04.  The 2/3 rule may not be conservative.  My experience
indicates that this is especially true if you are in close proximity to a
thrust fault or a subduction zone.  It is best to get a response spectra for
both the horizontal and the vertical earthquake ground motions if it is
perceived as an issue.  The TI 809-04 doesn't say what to do once you have
the vertical earthquake ground motions.

The 1997 UBC and 1997 NEHRP give a bit of guidance in regard to vertical
seismic forces for prestressed components, but that is about it.

The Japanese code does give some guidance on what to do with vertical
earthquake ground motions for certain types of structures, but I don't think
that there is any consideration for vertical for bridges.

Regards,
Harold Sprague