Re: Structural Engineers becoming isolated from the design team.

Dear Lynn and list serve members:
As a former Orange County nuclear planner; I would like you all to know that one
of things most admirable (and aggravating) about designing preparedness exercises
for the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station was that we could not use an
'earthquake threat scenario' as a viable trigger for failure of the power plant.
Although the plant is built practically on top of the Newport-Inglewood fault; the
so-called 'over design' of the site precludes structural failure of the site--in
fact, in our estimation, being at SONGS during a major earthquake is probably one
of the safest places to be!

That engineers are bad-mouthed may be more because most of us 'plebians' just
don't understand the engineering mentality;  you all *see* things that the rest of
the world don't have a clue about.

Audra Ranous, CEM