Re: stapled sheet metal blocking (wood diaphragm)

Bob, the stapled sheet metal strips do the blocking. The edges of the sheathing pieces should be "restrained" in alignment (T&G edges or h-shaped edge clips for wood structural panel sheathing) so that the staples don't withdraw if subjected to construction
loads (foot traffic, material buggy wheel loads etc.) over the deck.
John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA