Re: Shiners

Contact APA (help(--nospam--at)apawood.org) and ask for APA Report T98-22. Based on EYM
principles in AF&PA NDS, it has been determined that 10d common nail can
achieve full lateral load capacity with 1.5" penetration into framing.
This provision will be in 2000 IBC, and it is in a new ICBO ES report for
APA's Standard PRP-108 for wood structural panels.

A potential problem to watch for is that 10d nails driven at close spacing
in flat 2x blocking may split the blocking. It might be preferable to use
8d com nails (min. 1.375" penetration for full lateral load); or so-called
10d drive screw nails (0.135" dia. x 2.125" long), which have same lateral
load capacity as 10d com nails.

John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA