Partition loading

Please consider the following code section:
1997 Uniform Building Code, Volume 2
Section 1606  -  Dead Loads
1606.2  Partition Loads.

"Floors in office buildings and other buildings where partition locations are subject to change shall be designed to support, in addition to all other loads, a uniformly distributed dead load equal to 20 pounds per square foot (psf) of floor area."
The way I look at it, ALL walls are "subject to change" with the possible exception of bearing walls.  Consequently, I routinely include 20 psf partition load, except in areas where the live load exceeds 70 psf, using the theory that partitions would likely change the occupancy and reduce the live load to 50 psf or below.

I recently attended a seminar put on by a joist manufacturer where it was noted that ANSI allows an exception to this partition load requirement, if the floor joists are spaced closer than a certain minimum (speaker wasn't certain whether the min. spacing was 16" or 19.2").  The joist manufacturer is targeting residential and "light commercial", whereas 99% of my practice concerns commercial (light, heavy, whatever).

Question 1:  Is it proper to cite a standard to omit a code requirement?

Question 2:  Does UBC offer an exception similar to ANSI?

Question 3:  Has it been proven that walls have no mass?  When designing the foundation system, how does one include the partition weight if it has been omitted in the floor design?

Question 4:  What does the floor joist spacing have to with anything, unless the exception has to do solely with the design of the floor deck?

John P. Riley, SE
Riley Engineering
Blue Grass, Iowa