Re: Seismic loads, Mexican Code vs. UBC

Gunnar,

Seismic design in Mexico can be a little tricky.  They have a Federal code
(Reglamento de Construcciones para el
Distrito Federal, RCDF) but it technically only applies to the government area
in and around Mexico City.  For areas outside of Mexico City your
best choice is the CFE code (Comision Federal de Electricidad) which is an
industrial code that covers all of Mexico.

It has been a while since I used either of these but I seem to remember that
after the 1985 Mexico City Earthquake, their designs are nearly
kept in the elastic range.

You may also find some good information in the US Army/Navy/Air Force Seismic
Design Manual No. 5-809-10.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.

"Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson" <gunnarhi(--nospam--at)post4.tele.dk> on 04/04/2000 03:54:57 PM