RE: Wind & Expanded metal mesh

Mike,

I don't yet have the ASCE 7-98, but the ASCE 7-95 has a Table 6-9 "Force
Coefficients for Open Signs and Lattice Frameworks".  There is also a
section and commentary 6.4.2.2 "Air-Permeable Cladding" with a reference to
an Australian publication "Wind Loadings on Porous Cladding" by Cheung &
Melbourne.

The % open has to be fairly large in order to get any reduction in wind
pressures due to the nature of the drag on multiple components as opposed to
a single flat element.

CPP in Fort Collins, CO has some recent experience with this when the
Stratosphere in Las Vegas installed some expanded metal to protect people
from shoes of passengers on the rides.  They performed some wind tunnel
tests.

Regards,
Harold Sprague