Re: dual grade steel availability in Ontario

> From: KSP <lvtakp(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

> I have been specifying Grade 50 steel for my wide
> flange beams for the last couple years because I have
> been told that there really is no increase in cost for
> W-shapes that are not very heavy (say less than 100
> plf).  I have a job in Ontario now and have been told
> that this is not the case there and that I should spec
> A36.  Does anyone know if this correct?
> Thanks for your help

Assuming that you mean Ontario, Canada; Your advisors are probably
having a laugh at your expense.

Steel shapes in Canadian projects will typically be spec'd to CSA-G40.21
Grade 350W for wide flange shapes and Grade 300W for other shapes. In
fact, we have been regularly specifying 350 MPa steels for several years
and haven't seen 33(!) ksi since G40.5 published in 1950.

I would highly recommend that you get, at LEAST, a copy of Part 4 of the
OBC 97 and the CISC Handbook of Steel Construction, 7th Ed. (see CISC
site link on my web page). Additionally, you MUST use Limit States
Design for steel structures in Canada (see s16.1-94 cl 1.4).

> From: Majid Sarraf <msarraf(--nospam--at)unl.edu>

> some shapes in grade A36 steel though. For angles and channels most likely
> the grade is still A36.

CSA S16.1-94 does not explicitly reference ASTM A36 but you are not
prevented from using it. A36 will probably be supplied as G40.21 300W
(44ksi) from a Canadian supplier. As an example of cross-border
variations, if A500 is spec'd, an RFI should be issued (see CISC site
link on my web page, then look for Hot Topics).

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International