Re: precomposite deflection limits

Bethlehem published a book of composite beam tables some years ago, and
in their examples they used a 1" limit on deflection of the bare steel
beam. Above this, camber for dead load deflection. I've used this
criteria and it seems to work fine. However, the deflection of the beam
and the deflection of the steel deck does produce more dead load (due to
more concrete being required to produce a level floor slab) than the
numbers you see in deck manufacturers' tables.

Rick Burch
Johnson & King Engineers
Columbia, SC