RE: Bidding ethics Related

Title: RE: Bidding ethics Related

I have a question related to the GC shopping subs after the bids are in.  We required the GC to submit the list of subcontractors, but when the shops start coming in, the sub is not on the list.  We suspect the GC has shopped the subs and gotten a better price.  What course of action do we have?  Should the difference in price be given back to the owner?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Kestner [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 8:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bidding ethics

Nels:

I know of no construction industry standard, however.......

The GC will shop for the lowest price subcontractor after the bids are
in. To try to prevent this, we require the GC to list his subs with his
bid. If the "giveback" squeezes the contractors too much, they will be
forced into taking shortcuts. These shortcuts will ultimately hurt
everyone on the project including the Owner.

I do not recommend this practice! I agree with your response.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.