Re: steel beam penetrations

 In order to talk about costs associated with Beam Penetrations produced in
the shop we need to identify time issues ie. is the piece is detailed,
fabricated and also what is the detail of the penetration.  I've seen clean
unreinforced details that repeat throughout the structure and I've seen
others that have doublers, flange plates, ribs etc. which are attached with
full penetration welds------ which I call ugly details.

Some rough costs to use for preliminary estimating purposes would be as
follows:

Unreinforced Beam penetrations that repeat throughout the structure that are
placed on the drawings at the time of the bid (and don't move around during
the detailing/fab phase)  can cost about $25 to $35 per penetration

Reinforced Beam Penetrations that repeat throughout the structure and have
only flat bar horiz reinforcing placed on only one side of the web and
attached to the beam web with fillet welds that are placed on the drawings
at the time of the bid (and don't move around during the detailing/fab
phase) can cost about $50 to $100 per penetration.

Penetrations that are placed on the drawing after the detailing/fab is done
can cost about 3 times the cost of the penetrations (assuming these
penetrations can be fabricated in the shop) that are placed on the drawings
at the time of bid .  This is due to the manual drafting of the detail
drawings, project management time involved, rehandleing of the material ,
etc.

Please note that these are very rough estimates which may not be accurate
for your specific application. For project specific information you should
contact your local AISC Fabricator for assistance.   A list of fabricators
can be found on our website www.aisc.org

Lanny J. Flynn, P.E., S.E.
Regional Engineer
AISC Marketing, Inc.