code soil values vs. site specific values

I understand that if everyone on this list answered this question, I would
get response that varied from one end of the "spectrum" to the other.

So let me define my target audience: private consulting structural engineers
who typically work on low rise commercial projects.

Do you typically use code given soil profile types or do you do a detailed
site investigation involving geotechnical information?

Do some of you do both depending on the project?

Do some of you offer the different design methods to your clients based on a
cost / benefit analysis?  If so, what is the typical response from them.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.

david adie