Re: code soil values vs. site specific values

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 10:41 AM
Subject: code soil values vs. site specific values

I understand that if everyone on this list answered this question, I would
get response that varied from one end of the "spectrum" to the other.

So let me define my target audience: private consulting structural engineers
who typically work on low rise commercial projects.

Do you typically use code given soil profile types or do you do a detailed
site investigation involving geotechnical information?

Many times, at the start of design, no-one has done any investigation. Often as not, there's no interest in doing so!  In that case I use Municipal advice or, failing that, generic code/textbook values.  Depending on the sensitivity of the site we may call for investigation at construction onset.

Do some of you do both depending on the project?

Yes.

Do some of you offer the different design methods to your clients based on a
cost / benefit analysis?  If so, what is the typical response from them.

When you say "method" do you mean material choice as well as analytical method?
Depends on job size.  Typically, for medium to small projects, design method doesn't even come up as an issue; only the cost of construction.  Design concept/method may affect that.  In other words I choose/accept the procedure/material that fits the requirements of the Client and Designer.

Thor A Tandy P.Eng, MCSCE
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com