Re: big building

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Watch the length of the shear walls and how they are joined or connected when considering thermal effects. A very long wall will develop some very large thermal forces.

James

From: Mike582345058(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: big building
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 01:03:16 EDT

I am planning on designing a very large single-story warehouse building on
the order of 2 million square feet. The site is located in the vicinity of a
Type B fault in California. The building is about 3,000 feet long. The
necessary clear heights vary from 30' to 50'. The current plan is to use
concrete tilt-up panels at the perimeter (in the 30' clear areas) and at
demising walls.  The roof would be a metal deck.

I am already thinking of expansion joints at the roof. I am also considering only running some of the perimeter tilt-up panels to the roof for shear walls
and stopping the balance of the walls at 15' above grade (for security) and
then using metal panels with steel framing to cover the void in order to help
limit the roof tributary mass.  Another idea, if it is acceptable to the
owner, is to slope the roof framing in the perimeter bay down to shorter
concrete panels, say 20' clear, to cut down on panel thickness and tributary
area.

I am looking for insights on designing a building this large since buildings
of this size are rare.

Thanks in advance,

Mike