RE: code soil values vs. site specific values

Hi Stan,
I suppose if I were in Texas, I would be doing exactly as you are. However,
here in the land of the UBC we have two choices - design by a geotechnical
report OR design to the worst condition of the Uniform Building Code
(whichever is required by the building official). In residential
construction (in the desert where I live), rarely are geotechnical reports
required unless the site is known to have problems. Even when I lived in Los
Angeles the City of Los Angeles only required that we design by the worst
case expansive soils (a revised section of the UBC provisions that are more
restrictive to Los Angeles City jurisdiction).
I know other areas - such as Southern Utah, that have some real expansive
clay problems and are just starting to mandate soils reports.

Let me preface that the homes I design without geotechical reports are on
flat sites and generally one story slab on grade (no hillside lots or
difficult soil conditions). Being a desert area, the soil condition is
fairly well known and consistent (decomposed granite or compacted sand) -
far more so than in Los Angeles or other areas of California where expansive
clays exist. I also have to deal with having my hands tied. I can not afford
to absorb the cost of the soils reports and have it in my contract that the
owners representative will provide it. In most cases they do not live up to
this part of the contract and I have had to add a disclaimer to my contract
that explains that the worst case conditions will be used in the design
unless a report is obtained to show the conditions are less stringent.

I am not so flippant about this as I may have made it seem but it is not
enforced as stringently as it is in your area.

Regards,
Dennis