Beam Bearing Plate Bolts

I want to get some feedback of others experience with locating bolts on beam
bearing plates.  I have seen it done two ways.  The first is to locate the
bolts on the beam gage line.  The bearing plate is welded to the end of the
beam.  Since the bolt gage is narrow, the width of the beam bearing plate and
the pocket in the concrete wall can be reduced.  The second method is to
locate the bolts outside the width of the beam.  The bearing plate is welded
to the end of the beam.  This would then make the beam bearing plate and
pocket about 6 inches wider then the beam.

Also, what is the preference of leaving the pocket out all together and
embedding a weld plate in the concrete wall and field welding a connection to
the plate?

Rich

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team