RE: Code Soil Values vs. Site Specific

Title: RE: Code Soil Values vs. Site Specific

In Edmonton, Alberta building officials are enforcing Article 2.3.4.6 of the Alberta Building Code (National Building Code) which requires a geotechnical investigation for each project falling under Part 4 of the Code (ie structures over 6000 sf).

My practice has, and continues to be requiring geotechnical information either by prior investigation or confirmation of assumed conditions by direct inspection and field tests during construction by the structural engineer of record or his represenative.  Assumed conditions are obtained from previous geotechnical investigations near or adjacent to the specific site.

My own experience has shown that construction method has had a greater impact on cost than design method.

B.Davison, P.Eng
RND Engineering Ltd
Edmonton, Alberta

Dear B. Davison:

It appears that Dallas and Edmonton have something in common after all!  I am amazed that site-specific geotechnical investigations are not required everywhere in North America, considering that foundation problems annually result in more property damage than all other causes combined.

I am sorry about the recent performance of your Oilers, but they will soon be out of their misery for another year!;^>

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Hockey Heaven, Texas