RE: Beam Bearing Plate Bolts

Rich,

It is very difficult to have cast in anchor bolts positioned accurately.
My preference is to:
1.	Make the plate large to account for mislocated anchor bolts or to
facilitate drilled in anchors.  I keep the bolts clear of the beam flange.
2.	Make the holes in the bearing plate the same size as if it were a
base plate, and use plate washers.
3.	The beam is then set on the bearing plate and field welded into
place.

In heavily reinforced or slip formed walls, I prefer eliminating the pocket
and using an embed plate.  If this option is used, make the embed plate
large enough to accommodate mislocation of about 3 inches, and long enough
to use an erection seat angle.  Conventional shear tabs or clip angles can
then be used that are welded to the embed plate and bolted to the beam.  I
prefer double clip angles bolted with long slots in the beam web to
accommodate for length variations.  By using double clip angles with
standard holes, I avoid the need for a plate washer over the slot.

Regards,
Harold Sprague