From: vicpeng
To: SEAINT
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 11:08 AM
Subject: Visually Graded Lumber Design Values

I'm studying the UBC 1997 for timber design, in particular, heavy timber, post/beam constructions.  The following items don't appear to be represented.

E.g. Table 23-IV-V-1 UBC 1997 shows "Values for joists and rafters".

1)    Do these values also hold true for 2x_ on flat?

2)    Where do I find values for 3x_ to 12x_ visually graded lumber?

3)    Similarly; round pile values?

Does the UBC address the values that must be used for large sections design?  I am reviewing from 2x4 to 12x12 D.Fir-L (North) in a variety of sizes.

Thank you.

Thor A Tandy P.Eng, MCSCE
Victoria BC
Canada