Re: Two types of building vibrations

John,

I am not familiar with the program FLOORVIB2.  I thought for a second that
I was, but I could locate any information about it at the places that I
would have thought.  Is it the computer program for vibrations from SJI?
The program that I recall that may have called something like FLOORVIB was
for composite steel beams.  I have used the vibration checks included with
RAMSteel (it will only do composite steel beams).

Any way...some general thoughts:

1)  Most floor vibration programs available are designed to check
vibrations due to human activity in the building.  That is to see if
people walking or carts rolling on the floor will cause the floor to
vibrate in way that some people may be sensative to.  If this program is
the same, then it may or may not tackle the problem you seem to face...the
adjacent train tracks.

2) Just a dumb thought...but make sure the program can do joists.  Most
programs that I am aware of only do composite steel beams.  I do know that
SJI sells a program for joists.

3) Most programs that check for vibrations due to human activity use the
methods outline by Dr. Murray (of Virginia Tech if I recall).  However,
make sure that the program is based upon his most recent publications (the
AISC Technical Guide on Vibrations is based upon his more recent work).
For example, I know that RAM International has not yet incoporated
Murray's newer method into their software..yet (last time I talked with
one of their reps, I was told it was in the works).  There is a
SIGNIFICANT difference between the results obtained from the newer method
vs. the older method.

I don't know if any of this will help or not...

Scott

Scott E. Maxwell, SE, PE
Structural Engineer

BEI Associates Inc.
601 West Fort Street
Detroit, MI  48226

Telephone: (313) 963-2301 ext. 389
Fax:       (313) 962-4269

Email for Business: smaxwell(--nospam--at)beiassociates.com
Email for Personal: smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu