Re: Beam Bracing

In a message dated 4/18/00 3:35:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tlarsen(--nospam--at)DLRGROUP.com writes:

> What is everyone using for the needed capacity of compression flange bracing
>  (against Lateral Torsional Buckling)  on steel beams?  ie: What force is
>  induced in the brace that needs to be resisted?  Is there an easy rule of
>  thumb?
>  Trevor

The standard for AISC/ASD has been mentioned already.  AISC also currently
has a seminar called bracing for stability that covers this. In the seminar
there are two aspects of bracing that are covered, the first is strength
(which is what has always been used) and secondly stiffness, so it is not
enough for the brace just to be strong enough but it must also be stiff
enough.  In addition in the new LRFD that is coming out is going to cover
lateral bracing and the associated equations and requirements.  In addition
at the seminar I recall them stating that in the commentary they are going to
give all the details in the equations so that by changing they factors they
can be used for ASD.

-Bill King, EIT