RE: Structural Engineer's Career Path: A Circle?

This is an interesting topic.  I've been approached a couple of times
with various companies about taking more of a management role, but have
turned those opportunities down.  Seems like there are always 3 or 4
managers for each engineer (ever hear of Dilbert?).  These guys do have
a lot of responsibility, but usually end up spending their time trying
to find a place to locate the copier or trying to resolve disputes
between employees.

A few years ago I felt like my career was in a rut.  I thought about
changing to something else...yes, going back to school, etc.  That would
have been tough on my family.  I finally got more involved in church, I
prayed a lot, got more involved in my family - the important things.  I
feel I now have my priorities right.  The times that I was asked to take
on management duties I declined because I did not want to upset the
balance I now have in my life.  I'm responsible for myself, (and several
managers are responsible for me also).  I like it that way.  I don't
mind if younger guys with lots of ambition take over and are my "boss".
I'm an engineer and I'm proud of what I can do.  When a company
downsizes, they typically lay off the managers (at least they do around
here) and the technical professionals who make money for the company
usually stick around.  And as for the money, I make more than I deserve
and its enough to pay the bills.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Mike Ritter, PE and proud of it