RE: column base plate anchor bolts

Paul

     I have allowed contractors to straighten bent and misalign A-307 anchor
bolts in the past. This is done by chipping the concrete down 3 bolt diameters
around the base of the bolt. This way most of the bend is below the base plate
and things fit better. If the contractor wants to use heat he must use a heat
crayon to check the temperatures. The concrete (500 F) and the steel (800 F).
Most of the time the smaller diameters are cold bent. After bending the bolts
are checked for cracking using a magnification glass. On very important bolts (
little redundancy ) I have even required dye penetration test for cracks. I do
not allow bending of high strength bolts. High strength bolts are usually
larger in diameter and do not bend with out heat which may effect there heat
treatment.

Acie Chance