RE: Column Base Pocket in Slab

Rich,

Typically when we design metal building foundations, the base plate bears on
top of the slab, as you mentioned.  However, the only reason we do this is
because the metal building manuf. specs the column that way.  When we design
steel interior columns as you are doing, we typically (95% of the time) put
in a "column pocket".  We usually bear the base of the column 6" or 8" below
the bott. of the slab on a separate pad ftg.  This is a little cleaner
detail architecturally.

Steve