RE: Wood Frame Floors - Level requireme

Bruce,

I went to the Arizona Registrar of Contractors web site
(www.rc.state.az.us/Standards/carpentry.htm#CARPENTRY_FRAMING) and they had
this requirement:

"Uneveness of floor should not exceed 3/16" in 48".  Floors should be level
within 1/2" in any 12'."

It is my understanding that the Arizona Registrar of Contractors bases their
tolerances on HUD's, "Minimum Property Standards."

In the situation that you cite, it would seem that slightly less than 1-1/2"
would be within tolerance *if* the slope was uniform.  However, with the
elevation difference of 1-3/4" in 35 feet, it has to be out of tolerance
somewhere or everywhere.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bruce Pooley wrote:

>>Does anyone know of a code requirement for the levelness of wood framed
floors in residences?
Is there an allowable tolerance?

I have a situation in which the floor is 1-3/4 inches different in
elevation in 35 feet.

Bruce Pooley
Timber Design
3448 South Newland Court