RE: Column Base Pocket in Slab

I think it is a matter of preferrence.  I have done it both ways.  Typcially
with monolithic ribbed foundations, I leave the base plates above grade and
try to hide the base plate in the wall.  Ask the architect to furr it if
necessary.  If the pour will be split, i.e. grade beams first and then slab,
I would do the leave out.  Much of this has to do with construction sequence
as well.  If the base plates are above the slab, the slab obviously has to
be in place before the columns can be erected.

Brian K. Smith,P.E.