cantilevered columns

Is there any standard practice for the lateral support of drive thru's at
banks for wind or earthquake?  I am doing a new bank that is being slightly
copied from an existing.  The original engineer used moment connections on
the beam to column connections for lateral stability.  I am thinking of
using a cantilevered column with a spread footing to take the moment.  Is
there any pitfalls with this?  Any other ideas (bank is wood framed with
wood trusses for the most part, steel where needed.)

thanks,

Mike