When do you suspend service

Do not suspend service, ever (you may want to
threaten, but don't ever really do it).  If the
Contractor does not pay, you will have to take him
to court to collect (small claims court if the
amount is small).  I advise you do not hold the
project hostage over design fees.  Too much to
risk.  If everything you say is correct, you will
probably win in court.  Chalk it up to the cost of
doing business.

Lynn