Re: When do you suspend service

Dennis,

Approximately 95% of my design fees come from projects for which the owner
is my client, and construction observation is included in the contract (no
CO, no deal).  I found long ago that building owners typically know you are
supposed to pay your bills; many architects don't seem to know that.  Most
owners that I discuss it with will go along with a direct contract with the
structural engineer.

I'm respectful and generally generous with my time in dealing with
contractor mistakes, in order to keep the relationships cordial and the
project moving smoothly.  But if errors are excessive, I bill the owner and
provide a detailed explanation of the reason for the additional engineering
services due to contractor error.  I've not been stiffed using this
procedure.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer