Re: When do you suspend service

In a message dated 4/20/00 2:26:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
MHarper(--nospam--at)hdrinc.com writes:

Over the past years I have done the following.
1. Add a separate line item in your contract for field visits.  Be generous!
If the owner cuts you back then you have every right to bill for additional
visits.  Explain why you need "X" number of visits.  The more complex the
project the more you will have to visit the project.
2. Work out a separate contract with the contractor to make visits or design
fixes for contractor errors.  Set this up in advance so that there are no
surprises and he knows and agrees that he will get billed.
3. Never hold up the project or threaten to hold it up.  Always be doing
what ever you can to keep it running smoothly.  This goes along way with the
owner and the contractor.
4. Occasionally you get a bad owner.  You suck it up finish the job and
don't work for them ever again.  This happen to me once.  We had a second
project already designed for them and we said that we were not going to
handle the C.A. We would see it through the permit process and that's it. It
was better to take that loss then to deal with that owner again. We never
worked for them again and warned others of their tactics.

Mark Harper SE

"I have to agree with Mark 100%.   Although Lynn's point is right, when it
comes to collecting money OWED to you, the legal system Stinks. You will
spend more time and money and even if the judgment is awarded to you and you
put a lien, etc. probably the Contractor has others waiting in line to
collect their money. I have experienced it! It is sad since it seems easier
today to file a frivolous lawsuit and collect money by settlement than
collecting money owed to someone."

John G., PE