RE: cantilevered columns

Mike,

The main pitfall, is designing a rigid connection from the column to the
foundation.  There can be excessive lateral drift due to the flexibility of
the connection.

One solution as noted in a previous post is to provide a base and then place
a grade beam around the steel column.  This requires 2 separate concrete
placements, and does not allow for easy removal of the column in case of
vehicular impact damage.

Another solution is to form a pocket in the foundation, and the pocket is
grouted solid after the column is placed.  The form can be cast with an
undercut or a key.

Another possible solution is to use headed anchor bolts with a bond breaker
on the bolt, a stiffened base plate, and tension the anchor bolts.

Regards,
Harold Sprague