RE: Project Portals -International Team Collaboration

To all:
Jennifer Chu contacted me a few days ago. She is a student at Boston
University and is doing research on the economic changes occurring within
the engineering community by companies who may be taking project production
phases and outsourcing them to areas in the world where labor rates are
cheaper.
We had some heated discussions on this topic early in the year, but I was
only able to find a few posts in the archives.
I would be interested in hearing more about this topic as I recall one of
two of you who are using Portals to coordinate efforts between international
team members (not necessarily doing it to reduce labor rates).
As I told Jennifer, I was contacted by one of our list members about two
years ago who was wanted to market tract home engineering. His production
team was in India while engineering was handled in the United States with
proprietary software. His offices had spread into three states and then he
seemed to disappear. One of the problems he had was code compliance which, I
think, may have prevented him from completing his proprietary software. He
faced many of the same problems that the commercial developers are facing
today.

In the same vein, I would appreciate it is those who are using Project
Portals like buzzsaw.com could elaborate a bit more as to why a web based
server is desirable to companies who may already be setting up or have
already established an in-house Intranet. It would seem easy enough to open
the server to specific sub-contractors if file storage and retrievals are
the only real benefit of portals. Are there other tools, such as Internet
Conferencing etc. that attract so many to Buzzsaw or is it the interface
that needs to be designed special to be user friendly.

This is new to me and our first discussion of this new technology did not
create a clear picture in my mind. I'd appreciate hearing more on this
topic.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant