From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 5:18 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: cantilevered columns

You can "model" the columns any way you want.  Getting them to behave as
fixed at the base is another matter.  My preference is a rigid frame.
JPRiley
Is there any standard practice for the lateral support of drive thru's at
banks for wind or earthquake?  I am doing a new bank that is being slightly
copied from an existing.  The original engineer used moment connections on
the beam to column connections for lateral stability.  I am thinking of
using a cantilevered column with a spread footing to take the moment.  Is
there any pitfalls with this?  Any other ideas (bank is wood framed with
wood trusses for the most part, steel where needed.)

thanks, Mike