Re: Rusted rebars

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Julian Chu wrote:

> Is there any reference/standard regarding rusted rebars to be poured with new slab? We have an existing structure with some exposed rebars left unprotected for several years. Those bars were designed to be lapped for later phase of construction. Can someone use wire brush to brush off the rust and reuse them for the lapping?

Simply brushing the rebars will not solve any problem. If corrosion has
started, it requires chemical treatment. Several commercial products are
available in the market. If the loss of cross-section is significant, this
factor should also be considered and the loss overcome.

Ductile detailing requires that all rebars can not be lapped at the same
section. When the additional portion of the structure is constructed,
welding, plate bolting or other similar procedure may be required for
transfer of stress from the additional rebars to the old ones in order to
ensure the required ductility.

Hope this provides some additional information.

ravi sinha

Ravi Sinha, Ph.D.		email: rsinha(--nospam--at)gemini.civil.iitb.ernet.in
Associate Professor		       rsinha(--nospam--at)civil.iitb.ernet.in
Department of Civil Engineering	       Phone: (91-22)-576-7336, 576-7301
IIT, Powai, Mumbai - 400 076, India    Fax: (91-22)-572-3480, 576-7302