RE: Steel Plate Availability

Tom,

As with anything, it depends.

If you have a lot of plate to order, 50 ksi is no big deal.  Plate girders
use them all the time.  I have used 50 ksi for a series of big trusses.  But
if it is a small amount of plate, I would keep it simple and stay with 36
ksi steel.  Call a fabricator in the area near the project site, and ask
them.

In general, the "keep it simple" rule is the most economical, and prudent.

Regards,
Harold Sprague