RE: Truss Diagonals in Compression (AASHTO)

It seams to me that the length to be used is not that cut and dry. It may be
the length from the center of the connection to the center of connection, zero
stress to zero stress. If we take an extreme example of a truss with a W36 top
and bottom chord we are adding more then 36 inches of length to the diagonal
member by assuming the brace length from the panel points. If we had a brace of
variable cross section, small at the ends and larger at the middle, the actual
buckling strength is not based on the thin sections at the ends.  It would be
conservative to design for the smallest section but not completely correct.
Look at chapter 11 of " Guide to Stability Design Criteria for Metal
Structures". With all that said some " Engineering Judgement " can be used. You
may want the "peer reviewer" to prove his point.

Acie Chance