Re: Truss Diagonals in Compression (AASHTO)

Bill:

I'm not sure who is "right" in this case, but my practice is to go from panel
point to panel point when considering AISC slenderness ratios.  I then use this
slenderness to determine buckling loads for both the member and the gusset
plates.  note that the L in the KL/r ratio is defined as the laterally unbraced
length of the member.  Unless the gusset is REALLY stiff, I don't see how it can
provide enough lateral support to be considered a lateral brace.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

"Polhemus, Bill" <wlpolhemus(--nospam--at)sbinfra.com> on 04/24/2000 10:59:29 AM