SLAB ON GRADE

Just hoping I can get a basic question clarified. I  have a client  I'm doing
a series of homes for, and he wants me to specify that the slab on grade be
placed directly over the vapor barrier, (no sand between) He claims that when
sand over the vapor barrier is moistened prior to pouring concrete, sand will
 never dry out,  the moisture from the sand will travel through the slab for
a very long time causing bubbleing in the vinyl flooring, prevents  wood
flooring from sticking to concrete, etc. I've always believed that the sand
aids the curing of the slab.  The caveat is that vapor barrier is installed
properly and not punctured during placement of concrete. Any help is
appreciated.
Andy Vidikan