RE: SLAB ON GRADE

I agree with your contractor.  You just can't wait long enough to dry the
slab if you are going to be adhering a membrane floor finish to the slab.
If you put down a thin sand lift, they will moisten it in order to be able
to work on it.  If you get a rain after the sand lift is prepared but before
the slab is cast, how will you dry it out?  If you use a good concrete mix
and wet cure the slab, you will not get much if any perceptible curling.  If
you do get a little curling, it will be easier to grind it out than to wait
for the slab and the sand lift to dry out.  Remember the moisture drawn out
of the concrete into the sand lift will eventually return to the interface
between the concrete and the floor finish.  The surface of the concrete may
test dry, the day you install the finish and be wet later because the
moisture has finally migrated to the surface of the concrete.  If the floor
finish is not a vapor tight membrane, then my opinion might change.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street
Eau Claire, WI 54703