Re: ASD vs. LRFD

>Both LRFD and Ultimate Strength Design use load factors.
So does ASD. The main difference (save for the use of the plastic modulus
for bending) is that LRFD multiplies the calculated load by a factor
larger than one while ASD multiplies the calculated stress by a factor
less than one. In both instances the structure is intended to behave
elastically for all but the last few hours of its service life. The
reason that LRFD is accounted better is what flies over my head.

>I calculate section properties and fastener strengths in LRFD
>terms then divide by Omega to get the ASD values. Sigh....
Bill knows what I mean, don'tcha, Bill? ;->

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw