Re: BOCA stairs

So far as I know, NFPA has dictated the 7"/11" riser/tread ratio.  IMO,
it's not as comfortable as the 7 1/2"/10 1/2" ratio, but it's the *law* in
Florida and Louisiana.

In 1993, in an industrial plant in Louisiana, the plan reviewer would not
approve the 7 1/2"/10 1/2" ratio.  In the process, I *discovered* that
Florida had incorporated the NFPA requirements by reference.  BTW, the 1993
OSHA still accepted the 7 1/2"/10 1/2" ratio.  The local building official
was *not* impressed.

It's a *terrible* waster of space, because it costs an extra riser/tread in
each flight of stairs.  Using a 7" maximum riser, a stair with a 12 foot
rise will have 21 risers (20 treads).  Compared to the same stair with a 7
1/2" maximum riser, there will be 20 risers (19 treads).  At first glance,
this doesn't seem like a big deal, but the run of that stair will be 20
1/2" longer with the 7"/11" ratio.

This *minor* detail can cost extra landings (and some *nasty* structural
details) when fitting stairs within a restricted area.

So far as I can determine, this decision is not dictated by safety, but
someone's personal prejudice.

I'm glad I'm getting old.  I am becoming weary of political solutions to
engineering problems.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
1724 Beaver Pond Rd.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561