RE: ASD vs. LRFD

The cynical view that I have heard some people mention is that academia is
the root (evil) cause of LRFD.  Those people that are cynical about say
that in order to get more funding for research, the researchers switched
to LRFD...i.e. created a new method that needed to be research so they
needed more money.  That is a little dark for me.

I do believe that LRFD is pushed somewhat by the academic world.  It is
just an easier transition from research results to a strength base method.

BTW, what this bit about fluid mechanics...you're making my head hurt!!
;-)

Scott Maxwell, SE, PE